Wednesday, December 31, 2008

So Long, Farewell, auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye

...and good riddance to 2008. I'd had high hopes for this year, but in the end it was really just a dud. I'm trying to end the year on a high note, so I won't go on about the disappointments and heart aches this rotten year brought. I know, I know, it could have been SO much worse. I have been challenging myself all year long to count my blessings, to think positively, and will continue to do so in the new year. But just for today, for this last day of this poopy year, I'm going to allow myself to wallow in all the yucky stuff.

The good news:

We survived Snowpocolypse 2008 without losing power, getting stranded anywhere, having any accidents, or sustaining any injuries. The delayed arrival of many of our loved ones due to the weather just made us all the more happy to have them safely join us for Christmas. We survived the 3 1/2 hour trek to my in-law's (it usually takes just under an hour) driving on snowy, icy back roads through the countryside at night. (Thank goodness for GPS--we seriously might have ended up stuck in the middle of nowhere!) We were the lucky ones, as the rest of the family spent the entire day in the car. It was crazy. Christmas was crazy and chaotic, as it was bound to be with 15 1/2 family members under one roof, but it was wonderful. We had amazingly yummy food (oh, so much food...and so not healthy!), stayed up way too late, played Hoopla and Whatiff (both fun games) and just enjoyed being together surrounded by wild, excited, sugared-up, mostly happy little children. All in all, Christmas was great, except that...

Unfortunately, my side of the family had to postpone our Christmas celebration due to the crazy weather and my nephew being out of town with his mother. We are SO excited to see everyone at my brother Darby's this Sunday. I have to say it felt weird to sit down and wrap more presents this morning while packing up all the Christmas stuff. I wonder if my brother will still have his tree up? Ours is turning gray since we got it the day after Thanksgiving.

Of course, there's a flip side to everything, which for Adam and I was capping off the visit with his family with a bout of stomach flu. Adam had it first--and WAY worse than me. Luckily, after a day in bed he rebounded just in time for us to quickly pack up and head home. (I was so bummed that we missed out on pizza with the family at Wallery's, but so glad I did or I'd have really been sorry!) As it was, I barely made it. I walked straight into the house and spent the rest of the night and the next day, well, you know. Thankfully, Kira didn't get it, and I don't think anyone else has picked it up from us. Yet....

The last few days have been a blur. I've kept busy trying to unpack, catch up on laundry, undeck the halls, take down the tree, all of that stuff. It's my absolute least favorite part of the holiday season. I just want to be done with it and be back to a clean slate. Since the family has all headed home (to Montana, Idaho, and Utah) and won't be spending New Year's with us to have our traditional New Year's Eve fondue party--complete with illegal fireworks, we've decided have fondue at home instead. Mmm...our once yearly indulgence of cheesy goodness. Maybe next year we'll remember to make a reservation so we can go to Urban Fondue or The Melting Pot....

Wishing you and yours a very happy New Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home