
Adam took the day off from work yesterday to do some landscaping. (He has so desperately needed a break!) When Kira and I got home I was worried that Adam had mowed the lawn in the backyard, but thankfully he hadn't. (It's CRAZY tall!) By our calculations, yesterday or today should have been hatching day for our Robin's eggs. We've really tried to leave them alone and stay out of the backyard. Yesterday we spied Mama Robin standing on the edge of the nest, and took that as a good sign.

Well, this morning I peeked out the dining room window, and Mama Robin was away from the nest for a moment. I quickly grabbed the step stool and a mirror and took a peek. I was shocked and
delighted to find that the eggs had already hatched! I ran inside and grabbed the camera to take a few photos while Papa Robin sounded the alarm. I know, I should leave them be, but I couldn't help myself! I had to get a picture to show Kira. We're thrilled to have three, ugly, naked baby Robins, right outside our back door. Happy birthday baby Robins! Hooray for the Robin Family!
I'm going to call the
Portland Audobon Society tomorrow to find out how long we need to wait until we can mow the lawn. I bet we'll need to wait 'til they've fledged. Man, we're going to have a serious jungle by then.

About the photos: The nest is
right outside our back door on top of our halogen porch lights. (We've put tape over the switch so we don't accidentally turn them on!) We can peek at the nest from our dining room window, but it's up high so all we can see is whether or not Mama is there. The "Before" picture was taken April 30th, and the "After" photo was taken today, May 7th. I can't believe the babies ever fit in those tiny eggs! (Man, we
really need to pressure wash our house--yuck.) If you click on the photos, they should get HUGE! Then you can see the babies and all their freaky details. Ahh, nature.
1 Comments:
Wow, this is crazy that they are so close! Those eggs are beautiful. The baby chicks are...well, not beautiful...but they will be soon! They are so tiny!
Post a Comment
<< Home