Thursday, September 20, 2007

60 Hours (give or take)

I can't sleep. The last 60 hours have been a tad on the stressful side. The number one reason is that Kira--on her NINTH day of school--fell on the playground and broke her collar bone! (She had been hanging upside down by her knees and somehow slipped and fell on her shoulder.) The school called Adam first, and when he tried to call me I kept ignoring his calls because my kids were still in class. I can't describe the pit in my stomach when I heard what had happened. I blazed out of my school, and when I got to hers I found her in the office. As soon as she saw me, she totally fell apart. Of course the school nurse wasn't there on Monday, and so first aid was left to the administrative staff. I took her into the nurse's office and lifted her shirt to take a look at her shoulder. I could tell right away that it was broken--at least I was pretty sure it was. We went straight to urgent care where we spent the next FOUR HOURS with no lunch. The whole experience was so aggravating, and I felt so helpless. Adam eventually met us there and was present for the diagnosis. (I had gone to the vending machines in search of sustenance.) Broken right clavicle--right in half. Ugh.


Kira has been SO INCREDIBLY TOUGH, and we are so flippin' proud of her. (Note the picture of her smiling for the camera even though she was totally in pain!) She has her right arm in a sling, and that's all they can do.--Thank goodness she's left handed!

I took her to work with me on Tuesday (It was the first day for all of my 3 year olds to be there and I just couldn't miss it.) She was such a trooper. Managing her pain has been a challenge, but I think we've got it down. Probably the hardest part is all of the things she can't do...like play soccer, play at recess, do PE, take ballet or tap, ride her bike, and rock climb at her best friend's birthday party in 3 weeks. We're going to continue to have her participate in soccer as the Assistant to the Assistant Coach (or something like that). We're going to get her a stop watch and have her help keep track subbing players in and out. I've also signed her up for a sewing class after school (doing little hand sewing projects). I hope she can manage that. We've started a little button collection for her on her sling. We had several of the super cute Jane Jennie buttons already, and she picked out another one yesterday. I really want to get her the "Tough Cookie" one.

Tomorrow will be her first real day back to school. She went for two hours today, then had an appointment with the orthopedist at the Fracture Clinic before lunch. The super good news is that she won't need surgery to set the bone. (Big sigh of relief for Mama & Daddy there!) We got lunch after her appointment, and decided to let her take the rest of the day off. She's still not sleeping well at night (and so incidentally, neither are we!) I keep waiting for her to wake up for her midnight dose of medicine, but I guess I should try and get some sleep. I need to reserve my energy for work, and for dealing with my surlier than usual little girl. It's going to be a l-o-n-g six weeks!

4 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Meegan and Larry told me yesterday. Oh my word! I am so sorry. I can't believe they made a little girl wait 4 hours in the emergency room. Take care and hopefully you can all get some sleep soon.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Annie. said...

Kira Lou! You are SUCH a trooper. Look at your smile! I am sure that it is NO FUN to have your arm all tied up in a sling, but maybe there is something you can learn from the experience...I know I learned a lot from my experiences on the hospital and with surgery. I learned how to understand how people feel when they are hurt or sick, and to be extra nice to them because they needed it.

Anyway, I wish I could come and give you a (gentle!) hug and kiss to make you feel better, but in the least I just wanted to say that YOU CAN DO IT! I love you!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Meegan Blue said...

She is such a trooper, and wore her sling with pride as well. Thanks for being there for your three-year-olds on the first day, even though I'm sure it was the last place you and Kira wanted to be. You gys are the best! xoxo

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Crabby Amy said...

Oh poor Kira!!! I feel so bad for her and yet she is such a trooper, which is so awesome! I should say too...poor mama and dad! Besides being physically drained (no sleep...yikes!) the constant worry for your child can be tough too. Lucky for Kira, she has awesome parents and lucky for you guys to have "tough cookie" for a daughter. I love those buttons by the way....good idea for putting them on her sling! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home