Keep Oregon Green (It's my favorite color!)

After roasting for the past few days, I'm delighted by the full-on thunder storm we are having right now! It's 75 degrees, and pouring. The thunder & lightening is quite spectacular. Car alarms are going off, my neighbor is calling her kitty in (who is no doubt hiding under a car or something), and it is wet, wet, wet outside. Ahhh....
I just have to say that I LOVE OREGON. I don't know how I ended up being born in the Willamette Valley, I couldn't have picked a better spot to grow up. Yes, it rains a lot, but it's green and lush and beautiful. I truly love it here, and can't imagine living anywhere else (at least not permanently).
Oddly enough, when the storm started I was reading online about a very peculiar looking bicycle my neighbors just purchased. They're a young couple with a toddler and a greyhound named--what are the odds--Henry! Sarah explained that they recently got rid of their car and are opting to be a bike only family. Wow, that's so very green and cool of them! I wish we could be less dependent on our car...although I love it soooo much, I feel a bit guilty driving it almost every single day. Adam takes public transportation to & from work most days. We live 2 1/2 miles from Kira's school (with Alameda Ridge between here and there) and six miles from my school (which is on the side of a MOUNTAIN). Unfortunately, I just can't give up the car. I'd love for us to move closer to my work so I could leave it at home. I'm so envious of the preschool families who walk or bike to and from every day. This is definitely a goal for us in the next couple of years. For now I'll have to settle for other ways to be green. Kira and I definitely need to give the trail-a-bike another SPIN! I know we can do it...but I think for starters we may need to slap some training wheels on her end!



1 Comments:
Hey Amy!!!
I have seen those funny bicycles...there is actually someone who owns one that comes to Creston pool. Very cool but I haven't gotten on my bike at all this summer. Have been walking though and occasionally making the boys come with me. Even at the end of the school year I would walk w/Mason up to school (in the stroller) and then we all would walk home. It's a long walk but I felt better saving even just a little bit of gas and using my own 2 feet! Hope summer is treating you well...we should be able to come to the park now that Matthew won't be doing occup. therapy on wed. mornings anymore (one more week). Mason is excited for school....not sure who is more excited though... me or him!! :) amy
Post a Comment
<< Home