Thursday, November 01, 2007

Good grief Charlie Brown

So how was your Halloween? Mine kinda stunk. I finished Kira's Laura Ingalls costume on Sunday (with huge thanks to my mother-in-law for help with the pinafore). After dropping K & her costume off at school yesterday morning, I walked down the stairs to the exit, opened the door, and somehow managed to slip--get the toe of my right shoe stuck in a metal grate just outside the door--then fall on my left knee on top of the grate. Truly graceful am I! Of course, there were at least three witnesses to my fall, who kindly helped me up. I somehow hobbled across the street to my car where I immediately FELL APART. I hurt SO bad, I truly wasn't thinking clearly. I drove to work, and on the way a parent/friend from school called and I told her what happened. I stopped at work and she got me some ice. Then I headed to Adam's office so he could take me to the ER. FOUR hours later (sound familiar? Apparently that's the length of time required to determine if you have a broken bone), they couldn't tell for sure whether or not my knee cap was fractured or not. I should hear from the radiologist tomorrow morning. I am SUCH a KLUTZ!

We went from the hospital to K's school for their Halloween parade. Kira was a-dor-a-ble in her costume (if I do say so myself). She was grinning ear to ear until she saw me on crutches, and then she got really upset. Adam was able to walk with her a bit and explain what had happened. She has been a peach and has been so helpful. (That's good karma, I say!) She knows how frustrating it is to be injured, and she has been so patient with my hobbling and has brought me ice packs, the phone, etc. I wish she would be as sweet with her father though. They had a tough night, and a very unpleasant morning. Let's just say word has it that she's grounded for the next couple of days....

It's silly, but I'm relieved that Halloween is over. I'm ready to pack up the decorations, put out our three Thanksgiving things, and move on. I'm happy to report that I've already started my Christmas shopping, and even have my cards made! I think they turned out pretty cute. I post a pic after I've mailed 'em next month. I know it's silly that the holiday season seems to start right after Halloween, but I need two months to get it all done. I hate crowded malls and plan to have my shopping done before Thanksgiving. (For reals this year!) Two of Adam's sisters and their husbands are coming home for Christmas, and we're super duper excited to spend time with them. It's been kind of lonely with us here and his three sisters and their families living in three different states (Montana, Idaho, and Utah). We've always been pretty close. One of his sisters and her family will be enjoying the holidays in their gorgeous, brand spankin' new home. We will miss them a lot, but understand wanting to be home. We haven't spent a Christmas in our own home yet (after 14 years of marriage!) but someday that time will come. We're lucky that our folks live here in the valley...but maybe not so lucky that we have to 'make the rounds'. At least we don't have to fly anywhere! I'd better get to work on my shopping list. Hmm...who's been naughty....

Edited to add: NOT broken! Hooray! Just a few more days in the splint, and my hobbling days shall be behind me. Everyone (including me) keeps telling Adam that he's next. (These things happen in threes, right?)

2 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Meegan Blue said...

Wow! Kira's costume is perfect!!! And I am SO glad to hear that your knee isn't broken. Happy November!

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad it's not broken. Take care of yourself! I'll send Adam good thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home