It's beginning to look a lot like you-know-what...
Still here. Super busy. Of course I didn't get all of my holiday shopping finished before Thanksgiving, in part because at least one member of this family (okay, it's mostly been me) has been sick since Halloween! I had a cold, then got a sinus infection, and a week into my antibiotics, I got ANOTHER cold! How the heck does that happen? Granted, I basically work in a petri dish (with adorable little germ bearers), but I thought I had super teacher/mom antibodies. Apparently not!
I have just two more days of work until Winter Break begins! I'm super excited to spend time with family (especially my best girl) and just CHILL. We have some little projects and outings planned, but nothing too major. We might head over to Bend right after Christmas, but at this point, it's looking like our lodging arrangements are falling through. : ( Adam is completely swamped at work anyway, so it doesn't look like he'll be able to take much time off. With his current caseload he's gearing up to work two 12 hour days per week (plus three 8 hr days) from New Year through February. Between his job, his church responsibilities, and his GAMES, I feel like kind of a widow. At least he's not stuck overseas. I just need to remember to count my blessings, and they are many.
It's been a tough fall for us in many respects (particularly health wise) but our Christmas tree is up (I just wish I could smell it!), the house fairly clean, and most of the presents have been bought. I have LOADS of wrapping to do, which I'm hoping to dive into while Kira's at school on Friday. (That is, when I'm not busy coordinating her class holiday party in the afternoon!) I can't believe it's just a week until Christmas! I'm so excited. I swear, I think I love it just as much...if not more...than Kira does! I just wish I had more time to make stuff. Handmade stuff is the best!
I got my Christmas present early, and I'm not sure how I ever lived without it! My old cell phone was seriously on its last charge, my Palm has a freaky buzzing noise going and I'm pretty sure it's going to give up the ghost pretty soon. Ever since Adam got a new 8g Nano with video, I've been feeling like my little 2g 1.0 model was seriously inadequate. I've been ogling the iPhone since I first got my hands on one in July. I had conceded that I would probably never get one because we've been on Verizon for 8 years, and our family members might just disown us. After lots of comparison shopping, reading reviews, and doing the math, we made the switch to ATT. Yep, it's my new iBaby, and I love it SO MUCH! I'm still toting around my Palm. (We've been together for 8 years--that's a lot of history!) I can't wait until spring when the third party apps start coming out. I'm really hoping for some more Palm-like flexibility. And a tab key.In the interest of catching up and attempting to be brief, here's a super quick overview of what we've been up to:
- Kira is still a reading MACHINE. She frequently disappears and I'll find her curled up with a book, completely oblivious to the world around her. I envy her sometimes! She attended a special lunch with her school principal last week in recognition of her reading achievements. We're were surprised to find out at her parent/teacher conference that our little girl who was such a reluctant reader at the beginning of 1st grade is now reading at a 6th grade level. It's just so crazy.
-We've watched Kid Nation together as a family and loved it. We're so sad it's over.
- Kira and I went to see Enchanted (couldn't talk Adam into going for some reason) and we both really enjoyed it. We're super excited to see The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep after Christmas.
- Adam is reading the first Harry Potter book to Kira (she's feeling out of the loop with her peers at school) and we're planning to watch the movie during winter vacation. Then we'll take a break for about three years 'til she's old enough for the rest of the books. ; )
- I'm trying to get all of our photos uploaded to my beloved scrapbookpictures in preparation for a HUGE order. I haven't ordered photos all year (and therefore have gotten very little scrapbooking done) and am looking forward to delving back into my favorite hobby during the break.
- Adam is busy, busy, busy, but still finds time to kick out the jams playing Rock Band (such a dork!), and save the world from aliens and such. Same old, same old....
- Kira has had a super sweet tooth lately, and has been caught multiple times sneaking treats (even at bedtime!) Needless to say, our holiday goodies will be few this season, and the candy canes on the tree are several years old to prevent them from disappearing. I can't wait for her dentist visit in February. Yikes.
- My newest crafty endeavor is needle felting. I think it all started with a strawberry key chain I bought at a market in Seattle last August. I'm IN LOVE with Fleece Dogs, and am planning to make a Henry dog for Kira when I find some caramel colored fleece.
- It's Playmobil madness on our dining room table right now, with both our Nativity set carefully displayed, and our new Advent calendar that my fabulous in-laws tracked down for us in Germany. Wait until Kira sees what she's getting for Christmas!! (All of it--lucky, spoiled girl!)- I've been busy playing with Photoshop, trying to make a photo that I took of Kira and Henry in October work for our Christmas cards. (Neither of them seem to want to cooperate for another photo shoot, and time's a wastin'!
- Henry has been hibernating, sleeping mostly on the couch. I did drag him out of the house yesterday for a trip to the groomer's for a nail trim (his mani/pedi costs almost as much as mine!) After his harrowing experience, we were working our way through Petco to pick up a bag o' chow for him when he did the unthinkable right in the middle of the store. Nice. Santa's watching, Henry my boy. You'd better watch out....
Well, I should be addressing those Christmas cards that I made at the beginning of October, so I'd better get on that and get to bed! Tomorrow I'm going to finish my Christmas shopping from this website. I love the Demeter colognes.
PS--Just in case I go MIA again, happy holidays to you and yours!



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home