Monday, May 12, 2008

"It's like a miracle in our backyard!"

Check out this new photo of the baby birds I snatched tonight. We had a late dinner this evening (due to some after school snacking that left someone "not hungry" 'til late--plus Adam's working late). I had checked the nest for Mama Robin several times this afternoon, and every time she was away. Usually if she's gone, Papa is standing guard on the fence (often with a worm dangling from his beak--eww.) I hadn't seen either of them all afternoon or evening, and was getting a little worried. I started thinking the worst (that the pesky neighbor cat had nabbed Mama or something had happened to the babies). So, I decided to take a peek. Imagine my surprise to find these crazy feathered birdies! Kira wants so badly to see them first hand, but it's impossible even for me. I used a mirror to check their status, then quickly snapped some photos. Their eyes are opening! (I have to hold my camera way over my head to take pictures. Sorry about the flash, little guys.) Wow, just look at all those feathers! They're so neat. As we were taking a closer look on the computer Kira declared, "It's like a miracle in our backyard!" She is so right.

In other news, we had a very busy weekend. After Kira's soccer game Saturday afternoon (where we all nearly froze to death--what the heck is with this weather?) we came home to pack and get ready to head to Salem. After stops by a friend's house and the library, we finally hit the road, arriving much later than we'd planned. Adam's parents have just replaced all the windows in their house and are ripping off their defective LP siding in preparation for new siding and paint. What a job! What's really crazy is that when I met Adam, they had just moved into the house. (He helped his dad and grandpa build it the summer before we met.) Man, that was 18 years ago!

We left Kira & Henry with Grandma & Grandpa and headed out for out 'date'. This was our first time out since Adam's birthday last August when we went to see Transformers. We went to Thai Orchid for dinner. (They have one in Salem!) There was a l-o-n-g line, and I was so hungry that I was ready to order take-out from my cell phone and eat it on a bench somewhere. Adam was more patient, and we finally got a table. The place was packed (didn't think about it being prom night) and from what we could see, there were a total of six employees running the entire restaurant: two cooks, three servers (one who doubled as host) and one guy busing tables and doing dishes. The three servers were flying--we were super impressed. Unfortunately, the meal didn't go so well, on account that it took two hours from the time we arrived until we paid. Oh yes, and then there's the fact that I lost my crown off of my molar! Yep, not only did it come off, but I apparently swallowed it while eating some sticky rice. That put a major damper on the rest of our evening, and made that the single most expensive meal I've ever eaten. Ever. (Like, $500+ expensive.) Oh, but it gets even better. I went to the dentist this afternoon to get a temporary crown put on, and learned that I'll likely need a surgical procedure called 'crown lengthening' on two of my teeth in order to re-crown one, and possibly/hopefully both of them. (KA-CHING!!!) Plus, I'll probably have to have the temporary crown temporarily removed before I have my surgery in 2 1/2 weeks because it could fall off when I'm intubated. Yikes. That could be bad. I'm pretty freaked out about it all. There's just way too much going on with my head right now between my mouth and my sinuses. Not fun. Not fun at all.

Anyway, after dinner Adam had to pick up a new dress shirt to wear to church, and then we had to get Mother's Day cards and gifts for our mamas. (I'm SO lame for not making them stuff.) We finally headed to the Lancaster Mall Theater (where I worked in high school--but it's been totally remodeled) to see...Iron Man. Yeah, I caved. Thankfully, it was really good, and I managed to stay awake through it. The down side was that we had to see the late-late show and didn't get back to Adam's folk's until 1am! We were out way past curfew. We didn't even get to smooch on the porch. ; )

Sunday morning Adam let me sleep in until breakfast was ready...at 9:45! I stumbled downstairs only to realize how late it was, and remember that I couldn't chew. (Grr.) So, I skipped breakfast and jumped in the shower to get ready for church at 10:30. I somehow forgot my comb, brush, and hairdryer, and when I went to put my contacts in, one of them was ripped in half. Awesome. We made it through church and came home to change and chill out. Adam and his dad made a family favorite, "Garden Fettuccine" ( Super yummy--and I could chew it!). We all took turns talking with my poor sister-in-law Rachel who has just been put on bed rest due to pre-Preeclampsia symptoms. (I'm going to visit her next week, but it looks like we may be laying low!)

While the guys made dinner, Kira and I headed out to Grandma & Grandpa's backyard to make fairy houses. I bought Kira this great book for Christmas, and we've been waiting for a chance to make them. Adam's folks live at the very edge of a subdivision, and the area around their house is totally overgrown and wild. We had so much fun collecting natural materials and putting the houses together. I especially love the mossy shag carpet. Next time we visit, we're planning to add furniture. Eventually, we hope to make a whole fairy village. I LOVE their backyard! Check out our creations:













All in all, my Mother's Day was lovely. Kira and Grandma Cheryl figured out how to do Cat's Cradle, and I taught K how to play Jacks with these from SpielWerk. Kira gave me two cards, a pin she made at school, and a beautiful bouquet of white roses. Adam's going to buy me Wii Fit when it comes out next week. (Right, Honey?) We also visited my 92 year old Gramma Pearl who is so sweet and is getting so small. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spend time with my mama as she and my step dad left for a week at the beach, but we're going to get together next weekend. (Love you, Mom, even though you don't read my blog anymore.) Hope you all had happy Mama's Days too. xo

1 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Fairy Houses!!!!! They are beautiful. I'm going to show bryn these photos this afternoon. She's going to love them. We think there was a fairy in our backyard yesterday. We found a half walnut shell and there was a slight breeze.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home