Sunday, June 01, 2008

Hermione vs. Pippi

My dear Kira is pretty much obsessed with Harry Potter right now. A couple of her friends at school have read all of the books (yes, even Book 7--yikes) but for now, Kira has only read the first two and part of the third (it got too scary for her, so we put it aside for a while). As of last weekend while I was away, she has also seen the first three movies. She has been set on being Hermione Granger for Halloween this year, but I think I may be swaying her....

Don't get me wrong--I love Hermione just as much as the next gal, but I worry there will be a small army of Hermiones this Halloween and think it would be fun to stand out. I think that with Kira's long, long hair that she'd make an awesome Pippi Longstocking--another storybook heroine. I've loved the books since I was a kid, and Kira has enjoyed them as well. I think I may have her convinced after I did up her hair in Pippi-style braids this afternoon. I also showed her these great socks at Little Miss Matched-- too cute! All she'd need are some freckles and a jumper, and she'd be good to go. (Oh yeah, and a monkey...I don't think we can pull off a horse--although Kira pointed out that she does have a stick horse.) I've even offered to dye her hair red like we have in the past when she was a mermaid, and when she was Lily Quench. (Kira was much dismayed to see the new illustrations on the Lily website where Lily now has blond hair instead of red. Lame.) If necessary, I may just bribe her with this new edition of Pippi Longstocking illustrated by Lauren Child (of Charlie & Lola fame). You can read a great article about this new version of the book here.


Now, I realize that Halloween is five months away, but with summer (and swimming lessons) on the way, we've been contemplating a haircut. Kira had been growing her hair out for about years, and was planning to donate to Locks of Love. However, we're reconsidering after reading this report about their potentially shady business practices. Bummer. In light of this information, we probably won't do a major cut. She's still due for a trim if nothing else. Anyway, I sure do love her in these wacky braids! What do you think?


Alright now, let's all sing along! : )

Freckles on her nose,
Diddle diddle dee,
a girl came riding
Into town one day
Diddle diddle she was quite a sight.

It's Pippi Longstocking;
Heigh ho ho wa hee ha ha!
It's Pippi Longstocking;
There's no one like her.

Happy as can be,
Diddle diddle, Pippi tells you stories.
You just wait and see,
Tra la la la la, she's quite a girl.

She's got a house,
An old and funny house,
A monkey and a horse,
A suitcase full of golden coins....

And you will ne-
Ver ever ever find
Another girl so strong
And always generous and kind.

Pippi's world is fun,
Diddle diddle dee;
she makes kids happy.
Her make believe may stun--
Diddle did(dle) -- the grownups here in town.

Pippi's quite unique,
Diddle diddle, with her smile disarming;
She is such an imp,
Tra la la la la, you'll love her too!


1 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Pippi!!! Kira's hair looks so great. I hope she picks Pippi. I put Pippi stories on my IPOD for long road trips and the kids love it. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle is another favorite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home