So very sad
Needless to say, I've been out of the loop for the past five days. Over the weekend I'd heard on the local news that an 11 year old Boy Scout had drowned on a canoe trip, and mentioned it to Adam. (He's an Eagle Scout himself.) We briefly discussed how heartbreaking it must be to lose a child so suddenly. I wondered for a moment if it could have been someone that we knew.
After school yesterday Kira brought home a letter from her school principal about the death of a former student from her school, and the impact the loss is having on the staff and student body. I didn't sit down to read the letter until late last night, and when I did I realized--I know this family. I worked with Finn's mom several years ago, and I see her and her younger boys on an almost daily basis as they walk to and from school. I cannot fathom the sorrow they must be feeling. Although Finn was a middle school student, he had two younger brothers who attend Kira's school. Kira's teacher had him as a student, and I'm sure this has shaken her up. It's just all so surreal. My heart goes out to the Terry family, and they are surely in our thoughts and prayers. It's just so wrong, so tragic. I know for me this loss has put thing in perspective. I promise to stop whining about my stupid nose, and suck it up. I know I'll be hugging my little one a little tighter tonight, and will always tell her how much I love her. Life is too precious.You can read two poems written by Finn on this blog. For more information about what happened, look here, and to read essays by Finn, look here.



2 Comments:
Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this. I always dread those awful stories on the news because I'm so afraid that I'll know the person (not that it makes the tragedy any worse)... especially when it's a child. That was such a freak accident--usually it's drunk losers who are ill-prepared but not in this case.
Kira's school community has had a tough year. Such a good reminder to try and not take things & people for granted quite as much. So sad. :(
This is so sad. I am so sorry. THe poor family. I hope they are well.
Post a Comment
<< Home