Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Hello, July

Holy Cats! How did it get to be July already? June was a blur--seriously, since I spent a good deal of it medicated. My recovery from sinus surgery has not been fun. Over Kira's birthday weekend I came down with an infection in one of my sinuses. I've actually been running a low-grade fever since my surgery on June 5th, but knew it was worse when I started feeling fluish and achy. I called the advice nurse, and got started on antibiotics. Three days later--no change. So then they switched me to a real antibiotic, namely Augmentin. Still, no real change. I'd been telling them all along that I could pinpoint the source of the infection, and that I was sure I had some sort of blockage.

Well, I finally got in to see my ENT yesterday, and lo and behold--there was something stuck up there! It took my doctor an hour and ten minutes to extract it. It was not a good experience for me. (He also removed the rest of my dissolving stitches which refused to dissolve!) I squeezed my eyes shut tight, did lots of slow, deep breathing, visualization, and tried to stay in my 'happy place' (and not sneeze with multiple instruments up my nose). I still feel a little woozy thinking about it! He finally pulled out some sealant material that should have been absorbed by or expelled by my body, but was hanging tight. It was a disgusting yet glorious moment for both of us. I gotta say, my ENT doc kinda rocks. He's the only doctor I've ever had who uses the word, "boogers"! My old ENT called them, "crusts". ; ) I think I'll give my doc this nose pencil sharpener as a little thank you gift at my last post-op appointment later in the month. Alright, enough about me and my disgustingness. I'm hoping that with that crap out of there, I will finally be able to finish healing. I feel like I've been such a lame mom. Kira keeps saying things like, "We never do anything fun." Sheesh. Poor kid.













Well, we have tried to have at least a little bit of fun. Although I've felt crummy, life goes on. She's been in swim lessons for the last week and this week too. That always wears her out, which is great--but it eats up a chunk of our day to be able to go places and do things. Adam's had to put in extra hours at work (there's a surprise) so on Saturday, I took Kira to the Scandinavian Midsummer Festival. Okay, so we're predominantly Swedish & Norwegian, but my family (nor Adam's) has held onto any customs or celebrations from the mother land. None of that mattered to my daughter--she wanted to get in touch with her roots! We had fun--although it was sweltering--at least there was shade. The highlight was definitely Kira dancing around the Maypole with a bunch of strangers (I was so pleased that she did this--so brave!) while I took pictures & video. The music was so wonderful, and we loved seeing all the people in traditional costumes. I think her other favorite activity was making a flower garland to wear on her head. I did most of the work 'cause it was hot and I wanted to go!

We also went shopping for a pattern and fabric for Kira's baptism dress. We've looked online, and everything was just too froufrou &/or too expensive. She picked out the very easiest dress pattern I have ever seen anywhere. (Thanks, Kira!) We also found some very pretty fabric. I've promised that after we sew it at Grandma's (she has a serger) we'll go back and pick out some pretty trim to sew onto the neckline and sleeves. (She's thinking pearls--they're her birthstone.) We've moved the date to early August, thankfully. We clearly not ready, and it was going to be complicated with it being a holiday weekend. She's excited, and ready for the most part. It's so hard to believe my little baby is ready to take this step. Crazy.

Saturday evening to escape the extreme heat, we went to see WALL-E. We were so very disappointed when we walked into the theater to find the only seats left were in the front row. Lame. So, we bailed, checked movie times and headed to the other side of town. We accidentally ended up going to a theater owned by a different company, but they honored out passes anyway. How cool is that? The movie was super cute, and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Pixar has done it again. Now if we can just get Kira to stop trying to talk like WALL-E and EVE! (Did you know their talk was inspired by toddlers?)

Things around here have otherwise been pretty mellow. We had lunch with my mom yesterday, and today I'm taking Kira for a haircut. (I think she may donate to Pantene Beautiful Lengths. I don't really want her to get it cut shorter than shoulder length, because she needs to be able to put it up for swimming. Man, I'm going to miss her long curly-q's, but I won't miss battling with the tangles! I'll be sure to post an "after" photo.

Kira has spent the morning reading, as usual. She just burned through Molly's Surprise, and was begging for cinnamon rolls before she was through it. Looks like I've found my carrot for a trip to IKEA today! Kira recently scored a Molly American Girl doll at Goodwill for $4, and she's super into her dolls right now. I should get busy and help her sew some clothes for them. My sewing machine is living on the dining room table right now. I have lots of projects I want to get done, including a bunch of skirts for Kira and a new purse for me!

Well, other than a park playdate tomorrow & swimming, we don't have a whole lot going on. I should probably do something about that! I'm going to pore over the new issue of Metro Parent and see if I can find us some stuff to do. Camps will start soon, and that will help eat up some of her free time--and give me a much needed break from playing camp director. ; ) I'm looking forward to getting some projects done here at home.

Hope you enjoyed your June, and happy July!

PS--Bachelorette update: I'm so bummed about my pick, Jeremy, getting the boot from DeAnna. I think she may be sorry. He was so perfect for her, and his life seems the most compatible with hers. I think Jesse is a great guy, but I just don't see how he could possibly be the one for her. (Dude!) I think Jason's gong to be the one. Who knows--they never pick the one I do. We'll find out next Monday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home